Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Should I rent from seller or stay in apartment?

I'm in escrow and the house is tied up in probate court (owner deceased). It'll be at least another month until we get to close. My lease on my townhome is up 8/31. It would cost just as much per month to extend my rental lease as it is to pay the full mortgage on the house. He said he'd like me to pay all the mortgage but he's concerned about not having homeowner insurance since the property's been vacant for a year.



I don't want to pay the whole mortgage since its their fault I'm not in the house yet. They should have straightened this out before the put the house on the market. I was thinking I could offer to pay 60% of the mortgage on the house, make some repairs, and get renter's insurance for a couple of months (which I really should have in the first place).



What do you think?